First of all, I
just have to say that I want a Dimitri. In fact, I think everyone deserves a Dimitri
of their very own. Maybe a pocket-sized version so you can keep him with you at
all times. He’s such a sweetie. He’s also the hero of this fabulous tale. A
tale which has joined the ranks of books that kept me up past 11pm. And you
should know that strange things involving pumpkins happen when I’m still up
past 11pm.
It’s a beautifully well-written story of an office worker
and a Russian wannabe actor brought together by their clandestine spying on an
S&M club. But not as strange and circuitous as that sentence makes it
sound. Anyway, Rosie and Dimitri watch a little schoolroom spanking scene and
then manage to wangle an invitation to said club. As complete novices, they set
about trying out its various rooms and items of equipment while Dimitri
considers working as a professional Dom to beat the restaurant kitchen drudgery
he’s ended up with.
So Dimitri = Dom. But he’s a million miles from the
stereotype. Sure, he can be a little unpredictable and succeeds in embarrassing
poor Rosie, but he’s also attentive, caring, funny and sweet. The sort of guy
you think you can trust and you actually turn out to be right. And did I mention
sweet? The other thing that really struck me about Kinky was that it manages to
successfully negotiate that very narrow track of being both hot and humorous.
It made me snigger, particularly where Rosie and Dimitri battle the language
barrier and in Rosie’s increasingly preposterous bastardisations of another
character’s name – Trixietots.
Elyot has managed to write a book about ‘the scene’ that
steers an original and compelling path away from leather trousers and leashes.
But it’s also a heart-warming romance between Rosie and Dimitri that leaves you
genuinely wishing them well.
Kinky is published by Mischief Books. I bought it at amazon.co.uk, here.
And for the love of gods, someone please tell me how to get rid of the white background from my first paragraph...

No comments:
Post a Comment