The story is set on Bardsey Island, where a happily married couple
escape for their first holiday alone without the kids for several years. They
have one last paddle in the bay near their little stone cottage before they’re
due to get the boat back to the mainland and drive home. But it turns into a
little more than a paddle – and then they discover that their journey home isn’t
going to go quite so smoothly after all.
You’ll often hear the writing advice to ‘write what you know’. When it
comes to erotica, I don’t believe that this means you have to be particularly
promiscuous or have done every sexual act you write about. Horror writers don’t
go around chopping people up with chainsaws, after all. If you had to write
only what you’d personally experienced there would no fiction, only
autobiography. This isn’t an excuse for not doing some research and getting
your facts right – because you can bet some of your readers will have done the things you write about (unless
we’re talking tentacles, which I gather is a big thing in fantasy land) – but
the point of being a writer is that your imagination can extrapolate a lot of
story from a little information.
I think writing what you know is more in the little details that bring
the story alive. So what do I know about my story? Well, I almost went to
Bardsey Island once. Yes, almost. It was as a reporter to write a travel
feature. But the weather was too bad over several days for us to actually get
there because although the island is not far from the end of the Llyn peninsula
in North Wales, the waters are pretty treacherous. So I’d done some research
and had an idea of what the island was like although I’ve had to use my
imagination and stretch the truth a little in places. And I knew it was
possible to get stranded there for longer than you might have planned.
What else? Well, I’ve swum in the Irish Sea and I’ve paddled in
mountain lakes and when I describe the ‘bone-crushing chill in your ankles that
makes you wince’, I bloody well know what I’m talking about. And I have a
fondness for rustic pottery, which the couple’s cottage is full of. So when my
female character whispers her reply to a milk jug, I’m picturing a jug I have
that’s in shades of brown and cream with a vaguely Celtic kind of swirl scraped
into the glaze.
Gareth stood behind me and put his fingers
to the flimsy bit of fabric at my hips. He drew my knickers slowly down. I
lifted my legs in a detached sort of way as I gazed at the view, as if I was
barely aware of what he was doing. Although when he reached a hand under my ass
to push his fingers up the slit of my pussy, I may have moved my legs further
apart. Ever so slightly. I was wet already, and not with seawater any more.
With his words and his tongue and my imagination. He found my clit and rubbed
it gently, making me stick my ass up higher and whimper. A whimper that said “harder”,
but which he ignored whether he understood or not. The clouds were racing
across the sky and I saw a cormorant fighting into the wind.
“I’d better check the water,” he said. “Don’t
go anywhere.”
“Okay,” I whispered to the milk jug.
You can get your hands on Smut by the Sea Vol 2 at All Romance, Amazon UK and Amazon.com. And if you're free on June 22nd, why not come to the seaside in Scarborough for the Smut by the Sea launch. Entry for readings and talks during the day is free, and you can grab a ticket for the evening's entertainment along with all the info at the website.



No comments:
Post a Comment