Monday, 20 May 2013

Review: Forever Bound


This is a great collection that features an awful lot of rope and a wide variety of stories that should provide something for anyone with any kind of interest in bondage. The plots generally revolve around the eroticism so the sexual tension is a driving force. The writing is invariably fluent and engaging throughout. It’s easiest to describe by what is not here – stereotypes of physical description, moments of confusion, clichéd characters. These stories strike a balance between being highly original and imaginative, without straying into the unbelievable.

The bondage – and that’s surely what we’re all here for – goes beyond the predictable. And it’s well described, which can be a challenge for anything beyond the basics. I have my favourites – and other stories I didn’t enjoy so much, but even those were entertaining; I didn’t regret taking the time to read them. There’s generally a good balance of settings, themes, relationships, emotional depth, types of bondage and other kinky content such as spankings and floggings, gags, orgasm denial, interesting sex toys, domestic discipline, breath play, anal.

So what do the characters get tied up with? Well, you’ve got bell ropes in a church, hemp ropes, unidentified ropes, belts, cling film, straps, cuffs, a leash, curtain ties. There’s suspension, tying to chairs, beds, tables, a billiard table, workhorse...

My favourite stories? Ring My Bell by Rose de Fer was a fantastic opener. It’s got that tension of a new relationship when one side is wondering whether the other will be able to fulfil their kinky fantasies. I love the way the ropes – a church’s bell ropes ­– they use (misuse?) are there for an entirely different purpose but prove to be so... versatile. The story gets deep into the sub’s mind and shows her imagination doing half the job of getting her suitably worked up. Giselle Renarde’s Madeline and More described the backdrop of a choir practice so vividly that I didn’t need to know anything about music to be hooked. And she manages to describe the bondage position clearly without losing pace. Beginner’s Luck by Annabeth Leong was just fabulous – I can’t resist an endearing male sub, especially when he’s all tied up and helplessly horny. The story explores what happens when one sub tries going on top for a change in the setting of a rope bondage workshop and the idea that the experience of being a Bottom can make for a fantastic Top. I love the way she physically manoeuvres him and teases him. Someone mop my brow...

There were a couple of minor negatives to the collection, in my opinion. There were no m/m stories, which seems like a drawback in an anthology which is otherwise so full of variety in its relationship dynamics. Also, with the exception of Leong’s story, those with a female dominant were stories of cold, unemotional encounters with professional-type dominatrixes (I always wonder if that should be dominatrices), unbalanced by any that took place within loving, long-term relationships. This stood out against the much more balanced variety of the femsub stories. 

On the other hand, the absence of a cheesy cover is a definite plus! I picked up Forever Bound at Amazon uk. It's published by Mischief and is another one that is a mere 49p at the time of writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment